Blog

FISHING COMPETITION & BRAAI. Join us on Sunday 23rd September

FISHING & BRAAI. Join us on Sunday 23rd September at #PlaceintheSUN for both. Launch from 5am Scales close 12.30pm Braai around this time till late. Prize giving around the braai & weigh- in area….Alan G on mike as usual. Bundu on the scales. Prizes for LADIES. Come along and have a jol with your mates R150 fish & braai Or R100 fish only Or R60 baai packs available. .advise numbers for catering purposes. Fish responsibly – #eatwhatyoucatch Drive home even more responsibly #dontdrinkdrive. Please put the word out. I will have prizes for the Pski guys but there has to be a minimum entry of 15 anglers. They will fish against each other
And could win overall.

Update to all DSBC Members 04/09/2017

 

Dear All

 

We have had quite a bit of feedback from various members, and believe the time is ripe to set out the facts over numerous issues that need addressing.

We have purposely put this in condensed format.

 

A: The Temporary Site

1.      How much launch beach will there be once we move to the temporary premises? We will use from North pier to beyond our grass patch in the North.

2.      Will we be allowed to park our 4x4s plus trailer on the beach when launching from the Temporary Premises? —-YES

3.      How will we access the beach? The road runs on the harbour entrance side of the Pumping Station. The road is wide enough to accommodate vehicles passing one another.

4.      How many toilets? 4 ladies and 4 gents. Both ladies and gents will have 3 showers each. There will be 3 urinals in gents.

 

B: What will become of our Assets and Identity

1.      Will we lose our assets? No, but they will be blended in with DUC assets and any assets from other clubs etc, if the latter agree. These will be referred to as communal assets. Other assets such as tractors that are specific to our use will be cared for by us. The value of communal assets contributed by the respective clubs will be accounted for in their respective books, and their value will be shared amongst the PWC participants on an agreed basis.

2.      Will we retain our own identity and constitution? YES, each club as members of the PWC will retain their own identity under their own banner. Likewise each club will have its own banking arrangement. All boards showing the various achievers will continue. We will continue with Inter clubs, Ladies day, Junior Day, Over’s and Under’s i.e. Business as usual. 

3.      What will the PWC consist of? All communal assets—-that is those assets that will serve all the members interests. Kitchens, bars, staff, management etc will fall under this definition.

4.      How will the PWC be funded? Emanating from an agreed budget each club will pay a pro rata fee based on membership, to the PWC to manage the facility.

 

C: How will Watersports be managed?

1.      The managing authority is the DPWMA—-Durban Point Water Management Association. We will have a representative on this body.

 

D:Wash Bays

1.      Will there be a wash bay—–at the temporary premises there will be a tap and when we move to the permanent site a professional wash bay will be set up.

 

E: What will the Temporary Site look like and other questions?

1.      The temp site will face the harbour entrance and “clear view” fencing will be erected so the view can be enjoyed.

2.      The canvas tent that was positioned above the PYC will now be erected behind the temp building. This is approx 15 x 15 metres. The floor will be paved as will the area on the harbour side of the temp club house.

3.      There will be provision for a kiddie’s gym/play area.

4.      How long will we remain in the temp site? The maximum period is 2 years, but as soon as the main building under the promenade is ready we will begin our move to this area.

5.      What guarantees exist that we will not be in the temp site longer than 2 years? There are none. The contractors have performance contracts built into the tenders which should ensure that time targets are achieved.

6.      How much is the lease on the temp premises? —R100 plus vat per month. We pay for lights and water.

7.      What parking arrangements are provided for at temp site? Plenty of parking to the rear.

 

F: The Permanent Site

1.      What parking arrangements on main site. 142 parking bays provided for. This will be paid parking at around R10 per day. This will accumulate towards the PWC bank account. Any overflow will be accommodated at a public parking facility near by the main site— Paid parking as well, the rate is unknown at this stage.

2.      Where will trailers be parked at the main site? On the beach.

3.      How much beach front area will we have on main site? 180 metres right on the beach.

4.      Will we have a safety tower at the temp site and main site? A facility will be arranged details at this stage are being worked on.

5.      What about the transfer of liquor licences? This is being worked on.

 

G: Conclusion of Leases

1.      Both the temp and main leases have been signed.

2.      When do we expect to move from our current site to temp premises? We expect the temp site to be ready for occupation end September early October.

3.      What are the consequences of demanding to purchase the land that the developer will not sell? An expensive legal battle would result, with an outcome that would be uncertain.

4.      The lease arrangement on the main site is 15 years with another 10. This lease is the maximum that the City/Uem Sunrise would agree to. It is common practice. After 25 years the lease would have to be re-negotiated. The same applies to MSC who are developing the new passenger terminal.

5.      On the discussion point of purchase or lease even those in favour of purchase have commented that they do not expect to be able to buy the land, and only want to hang in with this position to get a better deal on the lease. If this route was followed, and after much legal interaction, what would be the outcome? —–you decide!

6.       The main lease is only R20 per square metre, an extra R13 per member per month—that is the price of 1 beer!

 

Regards

DSBC Committee

NEWSLETTERS

 

Update – July 2018

 

Hi Fellow Fisherfolk

 

We are fast approaching the end of July and this means that warmer days are on its way.  Hopefully we will see more of you at the PWC and on the water.  For those who have not yet come down to the PWC you don’t know what you are missing.  The vibes are excellent with friendly people and good food.

 

SARDINES

For the past two months the Seine Netters have been netting virtually every day.  They seem to be concentrating their efforts between Port Shepstone and Scottsburgh where most of these silvery bullets are.  Daily updates are being posted on Facebook so get down there and stock up on bait.   During this sardine frenzy drone fisherman have been making merry by landing  huge sharks with most being tagged and returned to the ocean to fight another day.  The mackerel and shad are also still biting freely at times at Vetchies.  Many guys have been trying for the elusive geelbeck this season but unfortunately none have been landed by our guys.  These tasty fish could show up at any time now.

 

COMPETITION

Our club competition was held on 22nd July 2018 after being postponed from the previous Sunday-looks like Windguru got the wind direction wrong.  Neverthereless the 22nd turned out to be a beautiful sunny day but the sea swells were huge which saw many an angler getting green. 60 x Dpsc anglers as well as 4 x Duc paddleski anglers took part in the competition which is heartening to see but still a far cry from the numbers anticipated considering we have a membership of 300.

 

Unfortunately not too many sizable fish were caught with most of the fish weighed were bags of shad.  The total fish weighed in the Competition (Shad) 23.82kgs. There were many awesome prizes to be won and the first 30 anglers were rewarded with prizes.  The Winners of the cash prizes are:  Subash Mahadow and Frans De Villiers joint first, no second, Greg Czekaj was third.  The Club also provided a boerewors roll to all participants.

 

Also on the 22nd was the Durban Ski Boat Club ladies angling tournament.  The ladies, who took part, landed some awesome yellowfin Tuna.  Two fine specimens of over 20 kgs were weighed in.  Some wonderful prizes were won by these ladies.

 

The DUC paddlers also held their third Geriatic long ski competition on the 22nd.  With the three Clubs having their respective competitions on the same day at the PWC you would have thought that there would be chaos but on the day it seemed to be really well structured and organised.  Despite there being such a huge crowd at the PWC, proceedings went off without a glitch and we would like to thank everyone for their patience and tolerance.  It does show that we can all co-exist.

 

AGM

The Clubs AGM will be held in the Islander Room at the Point Yacht Club at 18H30 on Wednesday 22nd August 2018. Claudette has arranged free parking at the PYC on that evening on a first come basis with Darryl Williams.  Please make an effort to attend as there will be some important issues discussed which will need your approval.  Also there will be election of office bearers as we need some fresh ideas and also need to elect a new Chairman as Ernie has emigrated.  If not attending send your signed proxy/nominations to Claudette before the AGM.  Use this opportunity to voice your concerns as we have of late had many selfish, baseless overtures directed at the Committee which is disturbing to say the least.

 

SKI INSPECTIONS

Please check the validity of all your safety equipment as we are fast approaching ski inspection time.  Check the validity of your flares as these are not readily available currently.  Safety is of paramount importance to all of us and needs to be taken seriously.  The ski inspection dates will be communicated to you shortly.

 

VOTE OF THANKS

Firstly we would like to thank all the Sponsors of our Competition held on 22nd July 2018.

And they are:  Eddie Litchfield/Craig Baker/Thermaltec Airconditioners/The Kingfisher/Township Hyper/Midas Durban North/Jason Roelofse/Adriaan Ash/Pure Fishing/Kings Arms and Ammunition/Coco Cola Beverages/Brendan Nolan/Les Warren/Illovo Sugar/Sea Port Supply/CMH Group – Alan Gouveia/Brocket Rolling/Heaven on Earth Spa.  Thanks once again for your invaluable support in making our fishing competition a success.

 

Guys please support these Sponsors.  When you shop at these stores, please mention it as well.

 

A huge thank you must also go to our secretary Claudette for singlehandedly approaching and securing the wonderful prizes for our competition.  She also arranged the packaging of the prizes and sent out letters of appreciation to every sponsor.  Claudette, we thank you for your effort which is much appreciated.

 

Also we would like to thank the weigh masters from the DSBC, Bundu Bester and Dave Couto for weighing all the fish caught.

 

GENERAL

Please ensure that your email and personal details are updated with Claudette on her email: claudette@wildsands.co.za

 

If you are receiving an email from the PWC re subs, it is an error on their part, please email them back and say you are a Durban Paddle Ski Member.

 

Best regards

From The Committee.

 

Update – June

Greetings to all our members out there. Please take the time to read this update so that you can be kept informed of happenings with your club. Once again we will break it up into sections in order to make things easier to follow.

 

Committee News

 

With our chairman, Ernie Hovelmeier, departing the country to settle with his family in the United Kingdom, Certain changes have been made to the committee. These changes will be in place until the Annual General Meeting, where you will be free to nominate and vote in a committee going forward. Ernie remains chairman until he formally tenders his resignation during the AGM. However to facilitate streamlined logistics, the following changes were voted on by the committee before his departure. Warren Green who is vice chairman will step up to acting chairman. Anthony Coetzee was voted in as acting vice chairman. The rest of the committee remains unchanged. Please show your support going forward, as we still have a lot of work to do regarding the new facility. We would like to wish Ernie and Joan all the best going forward.

 

PWC Update

 

We continue to build a good solid relationship with the PWC, and will continue to follow this route. Both DUC and the DSBC management and members have welcomed us with open arms, and continue to encourage the Durban Paddleski Club with regards to our future. We are sure that you have heard that the PWC management has changed, and the Cuanne Hall and Geoff Phillips have resigned. We wish their successors all the best going forward.

 

Development

 

The completion of the promenade and the new club remain on track as previously stated. Negotiations are being held with PYC regarding the future arrangements at the facility in terms of fees, costs etc. You will be kept informed of developments in this regard as we progress, However, what is certain is that when the move takes place there will most certainly be an increase in fees. We will certainly give our best to make this as painless as possible.

 

Fishing Competition

 

An email was sent to all members regarding the annual competition which will be held on 15 July. Entry is R70-00 for club members, and should you wish to bring a guest the fee will be R150-00. This year we have decided to open the harbour for those who wish to fish there. This may be a good option and will hopefully result in decent weight fish being caught. Hours are 6am to 12 noon, and any fish weighed after this will not be accepted. A committee member will be stationed at the harbour to ensure that nobody launches before time. Prize giving will be held at PWC, Please attend this as there will also be additional prizes apart from the cash. Each entrant will receive a wors roll, but should you wish to bring your family down, PWC will provide braai fires where you can cook up a storm. Please note that the club is a licenced premises and as such you may not bring alcohol in.

 

Beach Protocol

 

Please adhere to the rules of the club regarding launch and beaching times as stated in the constitution. 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. Space on the beach is tight at present, resulting in all beach users launching their craft in a relatively small space due to the sand pumping scheme laying piping. It is not easy for a ski boat skipper to see you in the dark, and we certainly do not want any of our members to be hurt or worse. Beach duty as been reintroduced and the duty guys will be easily identifiable by their DPSC safety bibs. Please obey all instructions. They have also been asked to do spot inspections on safety equipment.

 

Fishing

 

Sardine fever has hit the province and with it the usual predators. There is also a proliferation of mackerel in our waters at present. Many anglers have found themselves on the wrong end of a large shark feeding on these bait balls, Put your hand up Nigel Dowden. On the other side of the coin, some nice tuna have been landed recently as well as some Sada Sada. Shad however remain small.

 

We hope you enjoy the month of July and may your lines go tight.

 

Message from Your Secretary

 

Many Members have not collected there Portnet 2018 Disc’s, please contact me on 082 749 9932 or email me to make arrangements for your collections.

 

PWC access cards……. Come on Guys if you are not collecting them, I have phoned many Members which I am still waiting for.  If you have a DSBC Card, let me know or whether you are collecting your ones.  My email is:  claudette@wildsands.co.za

 

A new Launch register has been made, please print neatly.  Put all contact details as in your Guests name and contact details, and your Ski number.  Thank you.

 

Regards

DPSC Committee

 

 

May 2018 Newsletter

Hi Everyone
Having chatted to some members and from some of the questions and queries we have been receiving we have
decided to try and make the monthly update more user friendly and give members a chance to glance at the content
if reading through the entire document is too much for some….
In this month’s update will cover:
• Committee News
• Housekeeping Issues
• Point Yacht Club Cards
• Social And Events
• Launching And Beach Access
• Promenade/Development Progress
• Fishing News


COMMITTEE NEWS

Unchanged from last month. Ernie, Warren, Brent, Subash,
Peter, Gordon, Anthony and Claudette
HOUSEKEEPING
Port Net discs are ready and can be picked up from Claudette
and or a committee member on weekends at the temp club
between 7.00 and around 9.00 am. Please note that if your
ski inspection is outstanding you will not be issued a disc
until this has been done. This far response has been good
and it has been good to see some familiar faces again as
members turn up to sign for their discs.
POINT YACHT CLUB
We have received notice that the PYC intend increasing
the annual fee for our affiliate membership to their club at
the harbour to R500 pa from 1 June. We are busy chatting
to them to see if we can get some respite on this. Our
understanding is that many of their members feel that it
is unfair that they have to pay full fees of around R2000
whereas we pay nothing – the R100 as for the card issue.
For those members that frequent that club and use the
facilities including the parking and launching, this may still
be an option. Will update later.

FISHING
NEWS
SOCIAL AND EVENTS

The get together we promised sadly had to be postponed at
the last minute as response was poor, we think because it was
scheduled for a Saturday which in hindsight was perhaps not a
good idea. We have scheduled to have this then on the day of
our annual competition on the 14th July at the temporary site.
The club will provide boerie rolls for the competitors and you
are welcome to bring your own as well. Fires will be provided
and there is also the PWC canteen for anything that may
have been forgotten. Please remember that this is a licenced
premises and no alcohol is allowed other than that bought on
premise. Details of the competition will follow and we look
forward to seeing you guys and your families there on the day.
The Ski Boat comp at the end of last month was by all accounts
a huge success and the heaviest cuda weighed in at 26.9
kg. The paddle ski entrants had a poor day fishing wise but
everyone who entered receive super prizes. Notably, the
Umgeni Ski Club fished their paddle ski comp the week later
and the fish weighed in there were bigger and heavier than
those caught on the ski boats.
LAUNCHING, PARKING AND
BEACH ACCESS
We have been spoilt over the past few months by having a
relatively direct access to the beach through the gates past
the sand pumping station. As of this past weekend, this
beach access route will be permanently closed due to the
construction of a culvert that will be taking place in this area.
Club members will now have to revert to the “old” beach
access along the north harbour breakwater around the sand
pumping station.
In anticipation of this development, the PWC has purchased a
People Mover trailer and tractor to assist members in getting
to the beach. This service will operate on weekends only with
a trip taking place every 15 min. On the hour and half hour the
mover will go from the club to the beach and on the quarter
hour from the beach to the club
With the construction now moving closer to the club, shortage
of beach parking is going to become a problem. In the past,
only 4×4 vehicles with a motorised water craft were allowed to
access to the beach. This will continue.
4×4 Vehicles with paddle water craft will only be permitted if
space and beach operational requirements allow which will
be decided by club management and launch control on the
day. What will no longer be permitted are 2 x4 vehicles which
parked on the “hard “area before the beach. We just no longer
have the room to facilitate these vehicles in the beach area.
A reminder that beach security is only provided on weekends
by the club for vehicles left on the beach.
If you launch in the week, bring your vehicle and trailer back to
the club and park in the tandem parking provided next to the
main gate. Security is present 24/7 at the main gate.
PROGRESS REPORT ON POINT DEVELOPMENT
In a meeting held last week between some PWC committee
members and the Contractor for the Development, it was
confirmed that the construction is on track time wise and that
the 18 to 24 month time frame originally given for when the
move to the new permanent clubhouse will take place is at
this stage a reality.
Not much happening on the fishing front sadly. Only small
shad and some big mackerel with one or two large sharks
being pests as usual. One or two nice rock cod have been
caught as well for those that know where to find them. (chat
to Raymond – or stick close to him?)
The weather has been relatively good these past few weeks
and the water has been really good for paddling.
Please remember to sign in and out if you launch.
That’s it for now
Best regards
Committee

April 2018 Newsletter

Hi Everyone

As the month of calm seas approaches we look forward to getting on the water more often when the winds and sea, as well as the sun, are not so fierce. Sadly we have had only a few days to launch over the past weeks or so and the fishing has not been that great. There are rumours of plenty of Snoek around mainly near Umgeni, but I’m sure is we try hard enough we will find them around our hunting grounds. Mario told us he lost one on the gaff a couple of weeks ago.  The Snapper story we spoke about last update has had the following response from a DAFF scientist – Denham Parker….”All proposed changes in regulations are for argyrosomus spp only”.  This means that any proposed changes in legislation will not affect Snapper – good news indeed.

COMMITTEE NEWS

 Shaun Slade has resigned from the committee and we would like to thank him for his input over the years. We are therefore one short and would welcome any

approaches form members to join the team.

 

HOUSEKEEPING

 The long awaited Port Net discs are ready and can be picked up from Claudette and or a committee member on weekends at the temp club between 6.00 and around 9.00 am. Please note that if your ski inspection is outstanding you will not be issued a disc until this has been done.

 

SOCIAL AND EVENTS

 The get together we promised has been set down for the 5th May and we will meet at the PYC braai/pool area from around mid-morning. Beer and wine and soft drinks will be on sale at club prices and braai packs will be on sale at a subsidised rate for members. (R40 or so) Please bring a bowl of salad or something to share if you wish? Parking will be inside the secure area and this will be a great opportunity to meet and chat again with friends and fisherman we have not seen since the move from our old site.  Please could you respond if you intend to be there, to Claudette, so we can get an idea of the numbers? If the weather is poor, we will postpone and re-schedule. The Ski Boat comp at the end of the month has scheduled the 29th as the Paddle Ski comp day and we are invited to enter. Fee will be R150 per angler but the club will sponsor half of that for you as a DPSC member. Three prizes are on offer for the 3 heaviest fish (edibles) and first prize is worth R2500, then R750 and R250. Many lucky draws as well. Registration is on Friday the 27th or else (for DPSC members) on the day before launch (see Claudette) Hours are from 6.00 am to 12.00 midday. Prize giving at 1.00pm.

TRAILERS/LAUNCHING

Anthony is busy modifying the crocker trailer to ensure that it is safe enough to be pulled by a tractor. In the meantime the trailers are there for those that wish to use them as before.  That’s it for now all and we hope the fishing improves soon as the weather settles. Hope to see you on the 5th.

Best regards

Committee.

 

Greetings to all our members out there. Please take the time to read this update so that you can be kept informed of happenings with your club. Once again we will break it up into sections in order to make things easier to follow.

 

Committee News

 

With our chairman, Ernie Hovelmeier, departing the country to settle with his family in the United Kingdom, Certain changes have been made to the committee. These changes will be in place until the Annual General Meeting, where you will be free to nominate and vote in a committee going forward. Ernie remains chairman until he formally tenders his resignation during the AGM. However to facilitate streamlined logistics, the following changes were voted on by the committee before his departure. Warren Green who is vice chairman will step up to acting chairman. Anthony Coetzee was voted in as acting vice chairman. The rest of the committee remains unchanged. Please show your support going forward, as we still have a lot of work to do regarding the new facility. We would like to wish Ernie and Joan all the best going forward.

 

PWC Update

 

We continue to build a good solid relationship with the PWC, and will continue to follow this route. Both DUC and the DSBC management and members have welcomed us with open arms, and continue to encourage the Durban Paddleski Club with regards to our future. We are sure that you have heard that the PWC management has changed, and the Cuanne Hall and Geoff Phillips have resigned. We wish their successors all the best going forward.

 

Development

 

The completion of the promenade and the new club remain on track as previously stated. Negotiations are being held with PYC regarding the future arrangements at the facility in terms of fees, costs etc. You will be kept informed of developments in this regard as we progress, However, what is certain is that when the move takes place there will most certainly be an increase in fees. We will certainly give our best to make this as painless as possible.

 

Fishing Competition

 

An email was sent to all members regarding the annual competition which will be held on 15 July. Entry is R70-00 for club members, and should you wish to bring a guest the fee will be R150-00. This year we have decided to open the harbour for those who wish to fish there. This may be a good option and will hopefully result in decent weight fish being caught. Hours are 6am to 12 noon, and any fish weighed after this will not be accepted. A committee member will be stationed at the harbour to ensure that nobody launches before time. Prize giving will be held at PWC, Please attend this as there will also be additional prizes apart from the cash. Each entrant will receive a wors roll, but should you wish to bring your family down, PWC will provide braai fires where you can cook up a storm. Please note that the club is a licenced premises and as such you may not bring alcohol in.

 

Beach Protocol

 

Please adhere to the rules of the club regarding launch and beaching times as stated in the constitution. 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. Space on the beach is tight at present, resulting in all beach users launching their craft in a relatively small space due to the sand pumping scheme laying piping. It is not easy for a ski boat skipper to see you in the dark, and we certainly do not want any of our members to be hurt or worse. Beach duty as been reintroduced and the duty guys will be easily identifiable by their DPSC safety bibs. Please obey all instructions. They have also been asked to do spot inspections on safety equipment.

 

Fishing

 

Sardine fever has hit the province and with it the usual predators. There is also a proliferation of mackerel in our waters at present. Many anglers have found themselves on the wrong end of a large shark feeding on these bait balls, Put your hand up Nigel Dowden. On the other side of the coin, some nice tuna have been landed recently as well as some Sada Sada. Shad however remain small.

 

We hope you enjoy the month of July and may your lines go tight.

 

Message from Your Secretary

 

Many Members have not collected there Portnet 2018 Disc’s, please contact me on 082 749 9932 or email me to make arrangements for your collections.

 

PWC access cards……. Come on Guys if you are not collecting them, I have phoned many Members which I am still waiting for.  If you have a DSBC Card, let me know or whether you are collecting your ones.  My email is:  claudette@wildsands.co.za

 

A new Launch register has been made, please print neatly.  Put all contact details as in your Guests name and contact details, and your Ski number.  Thank you.

 

Regards

DPSC Committee

                                        March 2018 Update and News

Hi Everyone

Another month has flown past and we have had more and more members making use of the temporary facility and signing for their access cards. Sadly the fishing has still not been that great as we are still battling to find a calm day and when we do, there is not much around.  We have now formalised that a committee member and Claudette our secretary will be around on week end mornings from around 6 to 8 or thereabouts for any queries and assistance that may be needed.

Committee news

Some news from the committee is that Warren Green was voted in and accepted the position of Vice Chairman following the resignation of Mario and Anthony Coetzer agreed to join the committee to fill the one vacant post. At this stage the Chairman would like to thank the team, including Claudette, who have put in some long hours and helped to make the transition for this temporary period at the site relatively trouble free. The relationship that they have built up with the management team at the temporary site has made it very easy for members to feel welcome and to enjoy the facilities offered. Your committee now consists of Brent Slade, Anthony Coetzer, Warren Green, Shaun Slade, Andrew Mac, Peter Bosse, Gordon Banks, Subash and Ernie.

Housekeeping

There are still some members that have not done ski inspections as yet and we are busy identifying them and will be contacting them shortly. I suggest that if you are one of them you may want to contact us first? It was never the intention of the club to become a “social” club and whilst we understand the circumstances of the move and the uncertainty around launching and facilities, you are expected to register a ski as per the constitution. Port Net discs are valid till the end of March and we are busy looking at acquiring the new 2018 discs, but are in the hands of the Port Net authorities and who knows when they will be ready – last year we only got them in May if I remember correctly. We will keep you updated in due course.

Thus far we have had only one incident where one of our (supposed) members have embarrassed us in utilising the facility. One chap, who later turned out to be an old member and not registered with us, somehow got in to the club one week-end and tried to launch a crocker with a small motor. Luckily he was prevented from launching by the safety officer on duty and has not been seen since. Please remember that you are expected to launch with all safety equipment and required licences and abide by our club rules as before. The committee will be doing spot checks now and then to ensure that we maintain the discipline we have always kept. Once again – a reminder that there is a register (ours) at the boom gate to sign in and out as well.

So a big thank you to all of you for keeping our club image clean and bright and behaving as we would have expected. Remember, if you have any issues at the site, please contact a committee member who will liaise accordingly to resolve.

Social

The get together we promised has been set down for the 5th May and we will meet at the PYC braai/pool area. Details will follow soon but please save the date. The Ski Boat comp is coming up towards the end pf April and paddle skiers have been invited to fish the paddle ski section. If you do please remember our basic club rules apply in terms of launching, etc. There are some really good prizes on offer.

Snapper

Of interest on the fishing side is that one of our members, Devan Kistnasami was approached by DAFF and informed that although he had not caught any Snapper, he needs to be aware that there are size and bag limit restrictions on them as they are “grouped” with Kob (Snapper Kob). He indicated a 40cm size limit and a bag of 5. We have looked into the matter with our member representative Lionel Bennett and DAFF and as far as the committee are concerned at this stage, this appears incorrect as the scientific name for Snapper (Genus – Otolithes Ruber) is not listed on the DAFF published list of species regulations. All other Kob belong to the genus Argyrosomus and both genera are part of the family Sciaenidae. So theoretically for them to “group” these two genera together is illogical. There are close to 100 other genera in the same family that are not “grouped”? We are waiting for further information from them. If the law has changed it should be promulgated and published somewhere?  If anyone can assist in this debate it would be most welcome.

Trailers/Launching

The committee is in the process of modifying the ski beach trailers for connection to the small tractor (or even pulling by hand) which will assist those guys with crockers in launching. Apologies that it has taken so long but we are trying to ensure safety first and wish to ensure that it is completely safe if pulled by a tractor. Remember also please – only 4×4 allowed on the beach and not in the way of traffic to and from the water. There is a 15 ski trailer that will transport your long ski to and from the parking lot as well if you so wish.

Communication

Lastly, if you are reading this it means that we have got your email address correct. There are many members who change addresses and do not communicate same back to us. Please remember to advise us of any changes so that we can keep in touch. Claudette’s mail address is:   claudette@wildsands.co.za

That’s it for now all and we hope the fishing improves soon as the weather settles.

Best regards

 

Committee.

DURBAN PADDLE SKI CLUB – FEBRUARY NEWS UPDATE

 

Hi everyone

Another windy month has come and gone but that did not stop the few die-hards and week-day guys from launching when there was a gap. Sadly not much in the way of fish other than the odd shad and mackerel.

A note on the launching rules and beach protocol was sent out recently and is copied herein.

 

Beach access for Vehicles

The responsibility of ensuring that the beach and launch site regulations and laws are observed at the Vetches launch site has been entrusted to the Durban Ski Boat Club (and hence PWC) by the Port Captain and the municipality. As such the club runs the risk of having this privilege removed if it allows the members to transgress the applicable laws and regulations.

It is illegal to have a vehicle on the beach unless it is involved in the launching of a watercraft. This means that that the club can only allow 4×4 vehicles on to the beach that have a boat trailer or a paddle craft (not a surf board) on board.

2 x 4 vehicles are not allowed through to the beach even if they have a boat trailer or paddle craft on board as we need to keep the access road clear for the boats and tractors.

If you have been accessing the beach to go fishing or set up camp on the beach for the day, this activity is not permitted by law. Please do not put the staff under pressure to let you through the boom to “just quickly to drop off the family and beach stuff”! The club has bought a small tractor and is having a “people mover” trailer built to help members get their stuff to the beach. We hope to have this operational during the second half of February.

Beach Etiquette

The boat launch site extends from the north harbour breakwater to Vetches reef which starts in front of the old DUC clubhouse. Boats are entitled to use the entire area to launch and bathing is not supposed to be permitted in a launch site for obvious safety reasons.

The club realises that this is not the reality and has signs up on the beach on the weekends that demarcate the launch site. Please do not set up beach camp, bathe or use surf boards etc. between the launch site signs. Always keep a look out for returning boats and kids that have inadvertently strayed into the launch site area.

All vehicles must be parked up against the construction fence once the watercraft have been launched. You can’t use your vehicle as a “beach base” or sound system and park anywhere you like on the beach. If you move further north up the beach, please do not go past the base of Vetches pier as no vehicles what so ever are allowed past this point unless on official business. Joy riding on the beach in any vehicle is strictly prohibited.

Boat Launching Procedures

There are two methods of launching a boat at the club. One is a self-launch where you use your own vehicle to take your boat to the beach and the other is the tractor launch. For self-launches, you go to the manual gate closest to the beach and before you go through the boom, let your tyres down, complete the launch register and do a radio check. Once this is done proceed straight to the beach. Do not stop on the road until you are beyond the pinch in the road between the construction fence and black pipes.

For tractor launches, you go the automatic boom and drop your boat off for the tractor to take to the beach for you. The queueing procedure for a tractor tow is to drop a golf ball with your boat number on the ball into the pipe supplied and the tractor driver will tow in the order that the balls are dropped. Launch register must be completed and radio checks done.

Respect other water sport users

Due it being the closest the club house, the tendency is for all the members to crowd into the beach area immediately adjacent to the north harbour breakwater. As such members are coming into conflict with one another when it comes to accessing the ocean for their respective water sports. We ask that we give each other due consideration, respect and space so that we can all enjoy what this unique beach has to offer.

We continue to sign up members for access cards and thanks to Claudette and Warren we are close to two thirds of our membership complete thus far. The members I have seen and chatted to at the site seem happy and relaxed. There will be a committee person available for chats or help on week-ends early morning. They can be found at the corner table on the lawn, closest to the beach access gate. Claudette has kindly offered to take over secretarial/admin duties and has thus far been most helpful. Her email address is claudette@wildsands.co.za

We have built up a good working relationship with Paul and his team there so if you have any issues at all whilst on site, please raise your concerns with the committee first, so that we can handle for you. They have also made a tractor available for pulling our trailers that Shaun is busy modifying. There is also a 15 ski trailer doing trips to and from the beach from the car park. Note also that there is now a pedestrian gate short cut to the beach and you no longer have to walk around the pumping station building. (Long ski’s fit through as well)

PYC

The reciprocity offered by PYC to our club will come under review at their year-end (May) and I expect that we will not get the same benefit as we currently enjoy, but I will keep you posted. For those of you who have taken up this offer and currently use the PYC facilities – enjoy. I will endeavour to try and retain this benefit.

We are also busy with a draft agreement between us and PYC in terms of the new club premises and lease/sub-lease issues, as well as proposals as how best to share the facility and the financial implications therein. We are being guided by Richard Pearton (one of our members) and will keep you updated in due course. We will let you have details of the promenade development and progress (if any) as soon as we have something that is not a rumour. Rumour has it that they are pushing for completion in 18 months. Seeing is believing…..In the meantime let’s make the best of what we have at the moment and hope the weather and fishing improves.

Social and get together

The committee is working on something and notice will be sent out soon for a day where we can all meet and enjoy a braai and beer or two whilst catching up. Hopefully we can find a good weather day. Looking forward to seeing you there.

We have also been invited to fish in the paddle ski section of the upcoming Easter tournament by the ski boat club and details of that will follow shortly.

Lastly, one of our members, Lionel Bennet sent me this mail which we think is worth sharing:

Dear Ernie

My name is Lionel Bennett and I am a member of DPSC.

I am a volunteer member of MCM, which is the Marine and Coastal Management dept. of DAFF.

There has been a lot of restructuring recently with respect to the monitoring and policing of our coastline with even further changes ahead.

This has created much confusion in the public mind re who to call when poaching and other illegal activities need to be reported.

Please don’t hesitate to call the poaching hotlines.

However, if any of DPSC members see anything please to contact me directly and I will be able to get the relevant officers to quickly respond and investigate.

Your friend in conservation

Lionel Bennett
flyinglionel@gmail.com
cell: 073 022 3329
fax: 086 560 0699
www.flyingrhino.co.za

 

That’s all for now – if you want to phone and chat about anything please don’t hesitate, else see you on the water.

Regards

Committee